Friday 23 January 2009

THE CHANGING ROOM - 1974

When I lived with my parents as a young lad back in the 60's & 70's, my bedroom had the usual Dundee football fan memorabilia up on the walls, pictures, pennant, that kind of stuff.
Every so often when the time came to decorate the room, all the DFC stuff would have to be taken down to allow the wallpaper to be scraped off. Well sometimes, I used to do wee doodles on the bare plaster knowing that they would be covered up again in a couple of days with fresh wallpaper.
During a recent bout of redecorating at their house, my parents found one of my original doodles dated, December 1974 - and it was the Dundee Team. It seems like I couldn't even go a couple of days without having some kind of reminder of the Dee up on my wall!
For the record the squad listed is 1. ALLAN - 2.WILSON - 3.GEMMELL - 4.FORD. - 5.STEWART - 6.PHILLIP - 7.HOGGAN - 8.ROBINSON - 9.WALLACE - 10.SCOTT - 11.HUTCHINSON - SUBS 12.JOHNSTON - 13.I.SCOTT.
Quite a decent team there that had us playing in the UEFA Cup and reach the Scottish Cup semi in the 1974-75 season. We also finished 6th in the League which ensured that we were in the top 10 at the start of what would be the newly formed SPL the next season.
The 74 team has now been papered over again, out of sight for another while!

No comments: